How to Get more Child support

Many people contact me stating that they want to get more child support in Illinois. If you have a child support order in place, to get an increase you must file a petition to modify support. As a Chicago family law attorney, I might be able to help – contact me for a consultation.

Please consider the points if you are interested in increasing your child support:

Substantial change in circumstances required: The law regarding support modification requires there to be a substantial change of circumstances after the date of the last support order for support to be modified. For the most part, that means the judge must find the “net income” of the child support payor has significantly increased.

When the payor’s “net income” increased, but child’s needs remain the same: Though historically Illinois courts required both an increase in the payor’s net income and a showing that the child’s needs have increased, currently court’s often award an increase in support even without a showing that the child’s needs have increased. In other words, child support might increase simply because the payor is earning more – even if the child needs have not increased.


About the author: Contact Illinois family law attorney David Wolkowitz at 312-554-5433 or online. He is a family law and divorce attorney serving Chicago and the Counties of Cook, Champaign, DuPage, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry, and Will. Areas of practice include divorce, uncontested divorce, child custody, visitation, spousal maintenance, child support, and the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction & Enforcement Act (the “UCCJEA”).