Simply put, an uncontested divorce in Illinois is a divorce where the spouses agree to every aspect of their divorce, or dissolution of marriage. But, marriage can be complicated. As a Chicago divorce lawyer and Illinois family law attorney, I suggest you become familiar with exactly what you will have to agree to in your divorce case.
For an uncontested divorce in Illinois, spouses will have to reach agreement in the following areas:
- Child custody: Will parents share “joint legal custody,” so that they are both legal guardians?
- Children’s residence: Where will be the children’s official residence?
- Child support: How much child support will be paid? And to who?
- Dividing assets: How will the marriage’s assets be divided? Who gets what? Should some of it be sold, and the proceeds distributed? Who gets the house?
- Dividing debt: Marriages can be dissolved easier than debt. Who’s going to pay the bills?
- Alimony: In Illinois, the legal term for alimony is “spousal maintenance.” How much alimony should be paid, if any, and for how long?