Want an uncontested divorce in Illinois? Here are 5 tips that can help make it happen – or call 312-554-5433 to get started now.
- Hire a lawyer: If you don’t hire a lawyer, you’ll probably run into all sorts of problems including having trouble filing and not properly handle all the issues in your divorce. In this article I write a bit more about using a lawyer for uncontested divorce.
- Take stock of your assets and debts: It is important to account for all assets in a divorce. If some thing is not covered, that increase the chances for litigation after the divorce has been finalized.
- Have realistic communications with your spouse: If you take an extreme position, the chances of an uncontested divorce will diminish.
- Consider the kids: There are basically two major areas dealing with kids in a divorce: a) the allocation of parental responsibilities (formerly called “child custody”) and, b) parenting time (aka “visitation”). I wrote this article about the allocation of parental responsibilities – it discusses the various factors judges use to make decisions.
- Consider the cost of litigation: Litigating a divorce is very expensive. If you understand the cost of fighting about your divorce, you and your spouse will likely be more likely to want resolve the divorce by agreement – an uncontested divorce in Illinois.
If you and your spouse think you can come to agreement and the above 5 tips make sense to you, then you might be ready to start an uncontested divorce in Illinois – I wrote this article about starting a divorce. You can also contact me online or call me at 312-554-5433.