312-600-5376 or ONLINE

Need a QDRO Lawyer in Illinois?

If you need a QDRO lawyer, that means you need someone to draft a qualified domestic relations order – it’s what’s used to divide 401ks and pensions pursuant to a divorce in Illinois. You might be glad your divorce is over, but now you have to deal with the pain of figuring out what to do about your QDRO. It can be hard to get a QDRO drafted afer a divorce is complete, because many divorce lawyers do not draft QDROs themselves, so if a judgment for dissolution (the “order” that says you’re divorced).

I wrote this article about how to get your QDRO. [click to continue…]

Need a lawyer for an Uncontested Divorce?

An uncontested divorce in Illinois can be quit simple – so long as you use a lawyer. As an uncontested divorce lawyer in Cook, Lake and DuPage counties, I find that whether it’s Chicago, Skokie, Deerfield or Wheaton, people often have the misconception that an uncontested divorce means a lawyer isn’t necessary. While it’s true that an uncontested divorce in Illinois can be affordable and fast, it’s important not to forget that divorce is as legal process best handle by a lawyer. I wrote this article to explain why people who want an uncontested divorce in Illinois should use a lawyer. [click to continue…]

Uncontested Divorce: Top 5 Myths

If you are thinking about an uncontested divorce in Illinois, you may have talked to family and friends who have been divorced. Getting support from your family and friends is important. But the problem is they can spread the Top 5 Myths about getting an uncontested divorce.

This article is about dispelling the Top 5 Myths about divorce in Illinois. [click to continue…]

Dating during divorce: Dissipation, alimony, custody

Many people wonder if they can date while getting divorced. Others contact me and complain that their spouses are cheating on them.

That begs the question, does dating while getting divorce have any effect on the divorce?

If you want some insight into that, read this article, and one about adultery titled “Cheating and adultery: relevant to divorce in Illinois?

Finances: Is your spouse wasting money on a lover?

The judge does not want to hear about your broken heart, or what a jerk your spouse is for lying to you and having sex with someone else. That might make good fodder for TV court, but TV court is not realistic.

However, that doesn’t mean that your spouse’s love life is totally irrelevant. That’s because he or she may be “dissipating” marital funds.

Dissipation occurs when, during and after the “breakdown” of the parties’ marriage, one spouse spends money for purposes other than marital purposes. What does that mean? I think examples might be in order.

Did your spouse buy the same amount of food at the grocery store as was done in the past? That’s probably not dissipation.

Did your spouse take an extra-marital lover to eat at a gourmet restaurant 5 times last month? That’s probably dissipation.

It get’s a bit more complicated than that, but I think you get the idea.


Sometimes “alimony” is an issue. Alimony is now called spousal maintenance in Illinois.

Spousal maintenance often comes into play where one spouse is a high-earner and the other is not. There are many factors that go into how much spousal maintenance will be paid, and whether or not it will be awarded at all.

What can prevent a person from getting spousal maintenance? Many things. But one of them is if the person who wants maintenance moves in with a lover who is providing financial support. In that case, the person who wants the support is being supported by someone else, and may no longer need support from the soon-to-be ex.

Custody & Visitation

Just ask judges don’t want to hear about your broken heart, they also don’t want a bunch of jealous crazies clogging up the court complaining about how their spouse’s new lover is going to destroy their children.

Judges want people to move on with live. That makes the courts less crowded. One aspect of moving on with life – for many people – is to date someone else. And if the divorcing couple has kids, it is obvious the kids will meet the new paramour.

That being said, judges do care about exposing children to a rotating cast of short-term paramours. They also don’t want the children to come to any harm.

Long story short, if you or your spouse is dating someone, that’s probably not a big deal unless that person is creating a danger for the kids.

But the judge makes the ultimate call.

New “Right of First Refusal” statute: shame on the legislature

Many people have heard about a new “right of first refusal” provision that is taking effect on January 14, 2014. As an Illinois child custody lawyer, I find parents are often concerned about this issue. Too bad the new right of first refusal provision is a failure.

I wrote this article to provide a basic explanation of the law, and some commentary.

Long story short: the statute has no teeth and doesn’t go far enough in creating and protecting the right of first refusal in child custody and visitation situations. [click to continue…]

No-fault divorce in Illinois: what is it?

As a divorce lawyer, many people contact me asking for help with a “no-fault divorce.” Most of those people are actually looking for an “uncontested divorce,” also known as a “amicable divorce” or a “divorce by agreement.”

I wrote this article to help people understand the term “no-fault” and why that’s not the same as an uncontested divorce. Check it out, or contact me at 312-554-5433 or online.

Grounds for divorce in Illinois [click to continue…]